By Tom Lansford
Covering wars and conflicts of Afghanistan from the trendy founding of the rustic within the 1700s to the modern fight with the Taliban, this single-volume reference analyzes the motives and result of Afghanistan's wars and examines top political and armed forces figures, guns, and tactics.
• presents readers with a radical heritage at the wars of Afghanistan that enables them to appreciate the effect of prior conflicts on present strife
• permits a extra entire appreciation of the ethnic and non secular complexities that gasoline the continued clash in Afghanistan
• Examines how prior Afghan conflicts contributed to the increase of terrorism and figures resembling Osama bin Laden
• provides an obtainable clarification of the "Great online game" for strength and impact by means of imperial Russia and nice Britain within the 1800s and the effect of this contest on Afghanistan
Read Online or Download Afghanistan at War: From the 18th-Century Durrani Dynasty to the 21st Century PDF
Similar middle eastern history books
C’est dans l. a. nuit du 23 au 24 avril 1915, à Constantinople, qu’eut lieu l. a. première rafle d’Arméniens, annonçant los angeles longue série de déportations, tueries et massacres qui vont durer plus de trois ans. 1 500 000 personnes y perdent l. a. vie, soit deux ranges des Arméniens de l’Empire ottoman. Les autres fuient los angeles fureur des soldats, constituant une diaspora importante en Europe, au Proche-Orient et en Amérique.
Binational towns play a pivotal function in occasions of long term clash, and few areas were extra marked by way of the stress among intimate proximity and visceral hostility than Jaffa, one of many "mixed cities" of Israel/Palestine. during this nuanced ethnographic and old examine, Daniel Monterescu argues that such locations problem our assumptions approximately towns and nationalism, calling into query the Israeli state’s coverage of protecting homogeneous, segregated, and ethnically good areas.
Resting at the multifaceted and multicultural voices of ladies – secular and non secular, old-timers and beginners, on the middle or at the outer edge in their groups – it brings into sharper concentration hardly raised matters with regards to gender borders and to the personal and public spheres. past the categorical society they deal with, those essays give a contribution to our figuring out of the social mechanisms that (re)produce gender inequality in modernity, in its socialist, capitalist, or postindustrial types.
Spanning numerous many years, Ella Shohat’s paintings has brought conceptual frameworks that essentially challenged traditional understandings of Palestine, Zionism and the center East, concentrating on the pivotal determine of the Arab-Jew. This booklet gathers jointly her such a lot influential political essays, interviews, speeches, tales and memoirs.
- Resolving the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Perspectives on the Peace Process
- Intellectuals and Reform in the Ottoman Empire: The Young Turks on the Challenges of Modernity (SOAS/Routledge Studies on the Middle East)
- Fighting for the French Foreign Legion: Memoirs of a Scottish Legionnaire
- Muslim Fortresses in the Levant: Between Crusaders and Mongols (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East)
- Dying to Forget: Oil, Power, Palestine, and the Foundations of U.S. Policy in the Middle East
Extra resources for Afghanistan at War: From the 18th-Century Durrani Dynasty to the 21st Century
Afghanistan at War: From the 18th-Century Durrani Dynasty to the 21st Century by Tom Lansford
- Get Per fare impresa. Il caso Toscano: una storia italiana: Il PDF
- Download PDF by Moshe Gammer: The Caspian Region, Volume 2: The Caucasus